Just building robots?

What it actually means to be a Team 5950 member

In the largest county of Virginia, there is a group of 25 people that call a small classroom at THS “home.” They are known as Team 5950 and work together to strive for a better future in technology through the First Robotics program.

The First Robotics program’s mission is this: “…to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.”

I get to do just that by being a primary builder for Team 5950.

My job requires me to stay after school daily for at least three hours building our robot, which will eventually be competed against with other schools’ robots. We work hard on our robot in an effort to find new STEM research and to learn skills that will further help us prepare for a technology-based future.

Being a member of Team 5950 offers a variety of experiences that most people do not realize. I have acquired skills from this organization that will always be useful. For instance, if something goes wrong in my house, I now know how to fix it because I have fixed things on our robot. Just by joining this unique club, I have been given opportunities that most clubs and high school classes do not offer.

When I say, “I am a member of the Robotics club,” most people think that I just build robots. While it is true that I build robots, there is so much more to being a Team 5950 member.

Not only do I get to be involved with robotics competitions, but I get to interact with my community, teach younger students about the field of technology, practice marketing skills, make new friends, and become familiar with tools and safety protocols.

Team 5950 does not limit its focus only to the Tunstall community, but we like to branch out and interact with our supporters in the Pittsylvania County area. We host several fundraising events, such as spaghetti dinners and pancake breakfasts. We also visit elementary and middle schools to show children our robots and serve as role models for those who aspire to join Team 5950 when they are in high school. Besides fundraising and visiting schools, we write requests for grants and do marketing pitches with local companies in order to have enough financial support for the year.

In addition to all of the benefits of being a part of Team 5950, I have also become a better problem solver. Our game for the robotics competition changes every year, which means we are constantly trying new things. Not only do we have to figure out ways to make our robot effective and successful, but we must also figure out how to crush our opponents. By preparing for such a complex, unique competition, I have learned methods to tackle problems in my daily life, as well. There are so many benefits to joining Team 5950 and these benefits will follow me into my future, as I am more prepared for the ever changing world of technology.

So, when somebody asks me what club I am in, I proudly answer: “I am a member of the Robotics club, Team 5950.”

Trojan Messenger • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to Trojan Messenger
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All Trojan Messenger Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *