Halle Reynolds

Mrs. Hudson informs students about programs offered in culinary arts.

Sophomores explore career options at PCTC

On Thursday, Jan. 25, the sophomore class took a trip to the Pittsylvania Career and Technical Center (PCTC), also known as VoTech. While there, the students got to learn about the different programs the center offers, along with seeing currently enrolled students.   

“It was a great learning experience and I had a lot of fun,” sophomore Nathan Henley said.

VoTech offers many programs including automotive technology, auto body technology, computer network hardware operations, cyber-security technology systems, cosmetology, criminal justice, culinary arts, emergency medical technician, electrical automation, mechanical automation, nursing, precision machining, small animal care, Teachers for Tomorrow, and welding.

Sophomores learned that it is possible to be a high school student and a college student at the same time. Also, they learned that they can graduate high school with college credits by attending VoTech. Students may attend their junior year, senior year, or both years if they pick a two-year program.

“Going to VoTech today and seeing the Teachers for Tomorrow program made me realize how much I want to continue in the path to become a teacher,” sophomore Savannah Harlow said.

While at Pittsylvania Career and Technical Center, sophomore Katie Quintana became interested in the small animal care and veterinary science program. 

“My visit was very beneficial because I know I have a really good opportunity to learn more about animals and being a vet,” Quintana said. 

The trip to the Pittsylvania Career and Technical Center was an eye-opening experience and sparked interest in students who had not previously considered taking the route of vocational training. Now it is up to sophomores to decide how they plan to spend their last two years of high school and what options will allow them to achieve their career goals.

$50
$500