Eighth grade students become Trojans for a day

Senior+Jacob+Keatts+began+his+students+tour+in+front+of+the+office.+

Kamryn Tucker

Senior Jacob Keatts began his students’ tour in front of the office.

On January 25, TMS eighth graders got to experience what high school is like firsthand.

The upcoming freshmen arrived at the high school and went to the auditorium for a brief introductory meeting. Principal Boles introduced himself and welcomed the class.

The meeting  started off with Mr. Boles asking trivia questions about diplomas and general college information. Surprisingly, the students did not get  many of the answers correct. After trivia, they were given information sheets that listed different types of diplomas and how to achieve them.

Following the meeting, the tours began.

Approximately ten upperclassmen were able to be the middle school students’ tour guides by signing up through the SCA Club.

Groups were split up based on the eight grade students’ homeroom teachers. There were 10 groups and some groups had up to 2 tour guides leading them.

While the students were learning their way around, they got to witness a class change, which meant the halls were suddenly flooded with high school students.

“It was all so much,” said eight grader Trinity Curtis.

“It was crazy,” added eight grader Mallory Yeatts.

Although many of the students felt overwhelmed, their anxiety was lessened by encouraging tour guides who reassured them that high school is not as scary as it appears.

High school is a drastic change, but getting to become familiar with it is the first step to having a successful freshman year.

Although these eight graders will not begin until August of 2018, Trojans have already welcomed them and anticipate their arrival next year.

Kamryn Tucker
Juniors Grant Dixon, Clay Hardy, Ryan Bartley, and Eli Ashworth were a few of the tour guides that led the middle school students.