Planning for ’18-19: students choose courses for next year

The approach of the fifth six weeks of the school year means that students who are rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors have the responsibility of selecting their classes. The courses that a student takes will help to determine his or her path after high school.

Even freshmen can sometimes feel overwhelmed.

“Oh my goodness…..I have no idea what I want to do and I only have three years left to figure it out.  I better start thinking quick,” said freshman Madi Higgins.

Beyond course selection, students were also encouraged to be actively involved in the clubs the school offers because of Graduate of Merit. Furthermore, the clubs provide an ample amount of chances to earn volunteer hours for Graduate of Merit.

“I have a lot of choices going into my sophomore year.  I want to join different clubs and take all advanced classes,” said freshman Abby Childress.

Some students may also be considering online, Advanced Placement, or Dual-Enrollment coursework which will allow students to get a feel of what college classes are like while still in high school. Students were informed that colleges like to see a rigorous schedule when they begin making admissions decisions.

“I plan to continue Latin as an online course because I did it in eighth grade at Bonner Middle,” said junior Shayleigh Raymond.

The students this year have more to think about with new courses and clubs as well as new requirements for graduating. For rising juniors and seniors, physical education or PE is no longer a required class to take in order to graduate.  However, the usual required core classes are still there in English, science, math, and history.

“Junior year is the most exciting and nervous time. Scheduling is very difficult when you don’t know if you’re going to get into Governor’s School,” said sophomore Megan Pollok.

Scheduling forms for the 2018-19 school year will be distributed next week by the guidance department.