Students participate in Averett University’s Scholarship Day

Senior+Makayla+Law+%28right%29+in+the+bookstore+with+a+friend+she+made+from+Patrick+County.+

Senior Makayla Law (right) in the bookstore with a friend she made from Patrick County.

On Saturday, Feb. 24, several THS students visited Averett University for their annual Scholarship Day. Check-in began at 8:30a.m. and students got to spend the whole day as Cougars, while earning $1,000 that will go toward their tuition if they choose to go to Averett.

Students were able to have their questions answered by current Averett students and the admissions staff before the welcoming ceremony started. Once students were seated in Pritchett auditorium, president Dr. Tiffany Franks and her husband gave a funny introduction of why students should choose Averett.

After dismissal from the auditorium, the prospective class of ‘22 was separated into random groups to tour the campus. Separating into groups was an interesting experience because it required students to meet new people and get to know their tour guides.

Groups were eventually guided to the Franks’ house, where refreshments were served. During the refreshments, participants introduced themselves by saying what their name is, where they are from, and why they are considering Averett. This activity really allowed the students to get to know each other better and to introduce themselves to Dr. Franks.

After the tours, students were sent to classrooms relating to their majors. In the classrooms, they were able to learn what is required for their majors and meet professors.

For the biology program, Dr. James Caldwell explained there are four main branches of biology studied at Averett, including biomedical science, environmental biology, medical technology, and radiology technology.

Senior Megan Saunders is one of those students who have committed to Averett and will be studying biology.

“I’ve chosen to go into biomedical science due to the fact that I want to become a veterinarian in the future. I feel like being able to sit in on an actual classroom experience was very beneficial to me and my parents,” said Saunders.

Throughout the day, Averett students and staff emphasized how the school body strives to be “one big family.” Scholarship Day allowed students to experience life as a Cougar and realize that Averett can be their home, as well, if they choose to enroll.

“This day has prepared me to actually start my college experience at Averett in the fall,” said Saunders.