Cultivating creativity in art classes and art club

Sophomore+Dixie+Dunn+works+on+a+flip+book+assignment+on+her+wacom+board.+

Sophomore Dixie Dunn works on a flip book assignment on her wacom board.

Art I,II,III, and IV are classes that are offered by Mrs. Wanda Evans. Art is considered an elective choice that gives students chances to express themselves and learn more about different styles of art/techniques.

This is senior Tanner Bray’s first year in an art class and he said, “it has made me want to draw more.”

His favorite thing he has done so far is the one-point perspective project. He recommends art to others “if they enjoy drawing.”

Freshman Haley Calloway enrolled in Art I this year because she has “always liked to draw.” Like Bray, her favorite thing was also the one-point perspective project. Calloway looks forward to continuing art next year.

“I will be taking Art II because I want to learn more about the techniques of art. Art pushes me to draw more so I can express my creative side,” she said.

She encourages students to take these classes regardless of their artistic skills.

“Even if you aren’t the best drawer, I would recommend art because it is very fun,” said Calloway.

All of the art classes have project assignments that range from mandalas, which is detailed scratch art, to making face masks with a substance similar to plaster.

Sophomore Amy Phelps is a second year art student and enjoyed the name ribbon project.

“Art II is more difficult because we have to use more details, but I think that is a good kind of challenging.”

When asked what she wants to learn in Art II, she said, “If I could learn one thing in Art II, it would be how to use more materials to make art, instead of just a pen or pencil.”

Junior Jamir Khan is also an Art II student, but his favorite project was the two-point perspective picture.

“Art II has made me want to draw more and I feel like I enjoy [drawing] more than I did before I took this class,” he said.

He hopes to learn “how to paint pictures from scratch.”

There is also an art club offered that students can join if they have completed at least Art I. The club does many things, such as painting murals, painting the weight room, and seasonal projects.

This is junior Skylar Hamlett’s first year in art club.

“People who are in art should join art club because it is so much fun to be around people who share the same passion,” said Hamlett.

Sophomore Kensley Yeatts is also an art club member.

“I joined art club because I love art and enjoy working with other people.”

To learn more about art classes or art club, see Evans in room A100.