Timothy Hill

JROTC hosts drill meet

March 6, 2018

On Saturday, March 3, over 120 students from Bassett, Chatham, Dan River, George Washington, Gretna, Magna Vista, and Morehead High School competed in JROTC competitions hosted by THS. Since Sergeant Major Royall and Colonel King hosted the event, THS did not compete, but that did not make the event any less exciting.

The students were scored on a scale of one to five, five being in perfect sync and one meaning needs major work. One wrong misstep and the score would be deducted to a four. The school with the highest amount of points accumulated from all categories got to take home a trophy. The categories were inspection, unarmed platoon, armed squad, individual armed, color guard, and unarmed squad.

At the drill meet, sergeants from all branches of the US Military judged the student’s execution of their drills and scored them.

“Under the pressure and the chilling wind, the students performed well,” said Sergeant Anthony Smith.

“People that are expecting to go into the military should know that they should perform these drills in perfect synchronization and in any type of weather,” said Sergeant Rodney Williams.

Rorer Payne is a homeschool student that attended the meet and did exceptionally well, despite being the only one there from his branch, Civil Air Patrol.

“It is always good to see programs coming together since he is a part of our Civil Air Patrol, but homeschooled,” said Colonel King.

“We did have George Washington High School NJROTC to attend. It was their first time and they did well,” said Colonel King.

There was one group of students in the Armed Squad from Chatham High School that got a perfect score.

Royall’s favorite part of the meet was the Knockout Drill.

“I’m the one who was judging and a former drill sergeant. If the cadet was off by a smudge, he was knocked out,” said Sergeant Major Royall.

Overall, the drill meet was successful.

“The students did well and I’m glad that the schools could make it. I thank them for that from the bottom of my heart,” said Sergeant Major.

$50
$500