Busting myths about Liberty University

This fall, I will be attending my dream school, Liberty University. When one asks where I will be going to college and I tell them Liberty, he or she usually gives me the “you’re crazy” look or try to sweetly say “oh, that’s nice.”

Then follows the question, “doesn’t Liberty have a lot of strict rules?”

To which I answer yes, Liberty does have a lot of rules, but these rules are made in order to keep students safe and ensure they are receiving the best education possible.

I am here to address those rules people think Liberty has and to show what is true (and what is not).

1. “Don’t you have to be back in your dorm room by 8:30 p.m. ?”

If this were the case, I probably would not be attending Liberty this fall. Liberty’s curfew is 12:30 a.m. This gives students PLENTY of time to go study in the gorgeous Jerry Falwell Library, go out with friends, and still have enough time to make it back to your dorm room. Also, curfew at LU does not mean you have to be in your bed at 12:30a.m. You can stay up as late as your heart desires. Your mama ain’t there telling you when to go to bed (but I will probably be asleep by 12:30a.m., Mom).

1. “No dating on campus.”

This is definitely a big myth that goes around, and another one that if it were true, I would not be attending Liberty in the fall. Thankfully, this is not the case. Liberty students take the idea of “ring by spring” very seriously. Liberty’s Pinterest account even has a board called “ring by spring” with lots of pins of wedding dresses, wedding ideas, and of course, engagement rings. I mean, if I had a dollar for every Liberty engagement posted on social media before spring, I’d be a millionaire. Also, while spending a weekend on Liberty’s campus, everywhere I looked, a couple was holding hands.

1. “Isn’t there a super strict dress code?”

Now, at Liberty, students cannot wear whatever they would like to class, such as pajamas, shorts, or sweatpants. The reason LU has this rule is to help students get ready for the real professional world. But, the important thing, is that girls CAN wear leggings and have holes in their jeans for class (praise Jesus). The dress code, however, does not apply outside of the classroom, so really, one can still wear whatever he or she wants.

1. “You can’t have any fun going to Liberty.”

This is probably the biggest myth about Liberty. I have never been to a more hype football game than a Liberty game (and yes, I’ve experienced both a Virginia Tech football game and a JMU football game). There is always something fun going on around campus, such as sporting events, the Snowflex Centre, concerts, and plenty of restaurants. Lynchburg is a thriving city with many places to go out and have fun with friends. So at Liberty, one most certainly can have a good time.

1. “Liberty has terrible academics.”

Once again, if this were the case, I would not be becoming a Flame this fall. Most Liberty students receive job offers before even graduating. Many of the majors at Liberty allow students to experience hands-on learning, such as internships. As an education major, I will get to spend lots of time in different classroom settings, like public and private schools. I will also get to observe teaching of different grade levels, which will allow me to see which grade I will like the best.

I know many people expected me to choose Liberty as my college, and I am okay with that. All in all, I am not ashamed of my faith and Liberty is somewhere I can grow in my faith with other believers while learning, having fun, and making memories that will last a lifetime.