Students volunteer to save lives

High school is seen as a time to begin the future. Students begin thinking about what they will do with the rest of their lives, if they haven’t already begun. However, some students take one step further to volunteer to get a head-start in a career, either to gain experience for another career in a related field, or to just get started in the career they know they want to do for the rest of their lives.

Junior Hunter Gauldin volunteers with the Brosville Volunteer Fire Department. “My dad and everybody else I grew up around did it, and they made it seem fun.” Gauldin’s father volunteer with Pelham Volunteer Fire Department in Pelham, North Carolina. Gauldin also plans on becoming a full-time firefighter in Danville after graduation.

Like with all careers, there are some interesting things that happen, but there are also downsides.

“I delivered a baby,” said junior Jason White. “That was an eye-opener.” White volunteers with the Danville Life Saving Crew. “It’s a good first step. I can get a medical background and experience in the field.” He’s also dealt with DOAs (dead on arrivals) and helped perform CPR. “It changes your perspective.”

Senior Kory Davis also volunteers with the Danville Life Saving Crew. “The whole thing of volunteering highlights my gratefulness for my health.”  Davis volunteers in order to get medical experience, and plans to become a surgeon. One downside Davis faces is “the disappointment when you lose a patient.”

“There’s less time for different social activities, but there’s not too many downsides to it,” said White.