DECA State Leaderships

On February 28th, twenty-eight Tunstall students, and Mrs. Baynes, headed out to Virginia Beach. They got to enjoy a weekend there at an ocean front hotel. But it wasn’t all fun and games while they were there. They were in Virginia Beach for a reason: the DECA club’s State Leadership competition.

DECA is a business marketing club advised by Mrs. Baynes that prepares students as leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing finance, hospitality, and management. There are three different events students can participate in during the State Leaderships. The first is an individual event, Competency. During this event, students participating take part in a single role play in which they act as if they are managers of a business. The second competition is a written competition. During the written competition, students discuss different foundations. The last option is a team competition. During this competition, students have ten minutes to act out a business scenario together.

As for Tunstall’s results in the State Leaderships, Dustin Meadows came in second place in Accounting Principles. Dustin Kuczinski placed fifth in Retail Merch. Three seniors qualified for competition in Senior Management. These three seniors included DECA president Kayla Watkins, Shana Gauldin, and Jade Pendry. Overall, twenty-five students of the twenty-eight that went made proficiency in their events. But that isn’t all that Tunstall won during the State Leaderships! Mrs. Baynes won Outstanding DECA Advisor.

Ultimately, students left the Virginia Beach and the State Leaderships behind, happy with the final results. “It was really fun just being there and getting to experience it. Everyone tried their best and enjoyed their time there,” DECA president, Kayla Watkins, said.