Dreading Valentine’s Day?

Sophomore+McKinley+Payne+asked+freshman+Harley+Hearp+to+be+his+Valentine.+

Paige Mills

Sophomore McKinley Payne asked freshman Harley Hearp to be his Valentine.

Valentine’s Day — a day of exchanging flowers, cards, and loving sentiments punctuated with warm feelings of admiration, affection, and infatuation.

Being single on Valentine’s Day is not as bad as you may think. Although you may not have the “boyfriend” to buy you balloons, stuffed animals, and chocolates, there are other opportunities you could take advantage of. Spending time with friends will help keep your mind busy. Setting up a “Secret Cupid” better known as “Secret Santa,” there is really nothing to this tradition and can be rather cheap. Rules: everyone picks a name at random, a price range is set and you buy the person you picked a gift they would like.

If you don’t want to be with friends on Valentine’s Day and you are single you can always “spoil” yourself. Go on a shopping spree. Go to the gym, keep yourself busy all day. Although this is the most romantic day of the year, spending it alone and watching movies all day could be very entertaining.

Guy’s tend to have a “tough” guy image and don’t like to admit to feeling lonely. As well as the girls, the gym is a great place for guys to keep there mind busy while this hopeless romantic day is at its peek. Hanging out with friends is a great alternative to staying home lonely. Another great alternative to staying home would be asking a friend who you know is spending Valentine’s Day alone to be your valentine. If you do not care about love and want more money, you can always try to pick up an extra shift at work.

Realize that Valentine’s Day is a commercial holiday. It is not about love and relationships; it is about selling flowers, candy, and diamond jewelry. Think of all the money you are saving.

Do not define yourself by your relationship status. Your relationship status is not your identity. Just because you are single, it does not mean you have to stay home and “eat ice cream” while watching every Nicolas Sparks movie ever released. Just because you are in a relationship does not mean you have to spend this day with your “significant other” you are allowed to spend this day with your friends and family as well.

If you are single and you don’t want to be, start now to think about what is in the way of you creating the relationship you want. Find ways to work on becoming the person your dream partner would fall in love with.  Take up yoga. Begin to volunteer. Create art. Make meaning.

It is into the fullest lives that love is most likely to fall. This does not mean change the person you are, only better yourself.