To study or not to study: why study hall would benefit students

Several high schools across the country have study hall, which is a class period that is devoted to studying, doing homework, working on research, etc. Schools in Pittsylvania County do not offer study hall, but it would be more beneficial than some may think.

High schools like ours need to have a study hall option to allow students to have time to complete their schoolwork while having hectic schedules. For instance, some students have to work right after school and may even be scheduled to work until midnight, especially during the holiday season. They may also participate in several extra curricular activities, such as sports practice, club meetings, or even SCAEL matches. Sports participation requires out-of-town drives to games and daily practices that can extend well into the evening. For clubs like Future Farmers of America (FFA), BETA, DECA, and Interact, there are time-consuming requirements, such as working the Martinsville Race and completing a certain amount of volunteer hours. Furthermore, club members must maintain specific expectations. For example, BETA requires all students to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Outside of these activities, there are also students who are not able to get homework done at home because they have obligations, such as taking care of their younger siblings, grocery shopping for parents who work night shift, or taking care of disabled family members.

Some more benefits of study hall would be time for classmate tutoring, exam preparation, and group projects. By having a study hall of mixed grade levels, older students could tutor underclassmen in classes they have already taken. A freshman in Algebra II would benefit greatly by doing tutoring with a junior who is in pre-calculus. Also, study hall would be helpful for completing group projects, as it can be very hard to meet up outside of school without transportation. Let’s say a student really wants to meet up to work on a group project, but he or she cannot drive to go to the other members’ houses: study hall would eliminate this problem.

Those in opposition to having study hall may ask where it could be held or how it would fit into students’ schedules.

Well, the auditorium would be a great location for study hall. It is empty most of the time with the exception of drama classes. It is a spacious area and has plenty of room for students. Plus, it would be good for people who have to memorize lines/practice for a play because there is a stage. The library is a nice option, as well, because it has computers and a printer that students could use for researching, current event assignments, etc. Also, the library is quiet and Mrs. Yeatts is kind and willing to help with whatever students need.

Study hall could be held during students’ lunches and they could have the option of going there instead of remaining in the cafeteria. Another option would be offering study hall as an elective class. This way, students can choose to spend 90 minutes doing something beneficial for their core classes instead of being in an elective class they are not interested in. Study hall could be optional and only students who really need the extra time, such as the ones working late, could sign up for it.

Overall, study hall is a beneficial class that our school system should consider implementing into high schools. Not only is it a great time to get work done, but it allows students to have time to themselves and prepare for independent learning they will have to do in college.