Trojan Messenger

Trojans react to “Special Edition” of The Trojan Messenger

April Fool's Day paper a success

The Trojan Messenger published an April Fool's Day edition of the paper.

The Trojan Messenger published a “Special Edition” March 32, 2014, paper today to celebrate April Fool’s. Reactions were mixed between laughter, dismay, and outrage.

“I thought it was real until I saw the date,” said sophomore Dwight Tate. Other students shared his sentiment and enjoyed the satire-filled paper.

Junior Daisy Clay said, “It was a very unique idea.”

The headlining article “Prom Theme Changed” addressed the theme change from “A Night in Paris” to “A Night at the Rodeo.” At first glance, many female students were overwhelmed with the idea of having to change their attire for the prom on April 5. Senior Sadie Gauldin described her reaction. “I was flipping. I took it to my friend Jayme who had the same reaction.”

Male students were also miffed at the modification to the theme. “I just bought my tux so I was upset about the prom change,” said sophomore Trevor Mensavage

The dress code article, which detailed the banning of camouflage, Carhartt, monograms, riding boots, and scarves, seemed to be the article about which students were the most vocal.  Freshman Victoria Shirey said, “I think the dress code was a good idea except for the no monogramming because I love monogramming. #monogrammonday!”

The sports article “Equestrian Team Comes to Tunstall” brought indignation from students who really thought that an equestrian team would be a great idea.  Freshman Logan McCubbins said, “It was not very funny.”

“I was excited because I thought that Tunstall was really getting an equestrian team and I was planning on joining and then I found it was fake. I was mad,” said sophomore Maria Willhite.

Senior Baker Williams summed up the satirical tone by saying, “It was one of the few times Tunstall has used humor.”

The actual edition of the March/April paper will be distributed before school and during all three lunches on April 2.

Megan Holland, Sports Editor

Megan Holland is a junior at Tunstall High School, and this is her third year on the Trojan Messenger staff. She also attends the Piedmont Governor's School...

Cassady Davis, Reporter

Cassady Davis is a sophomore and this is her first year on Trojan Messenger. She is a member of both French and Art club. She is also captain of the literature...

Hayley Wakefield, Business Manager

Hayley Wakefield is a senior, and this is her second year on the Trojan Messenger Staff. She has been a member of DECA and FCCLA for the past three years....

Catherine Allen, Reporter

Catherine Allen is a freshman at THS. This is her first year on the Trojan Messenger. She participates in the Senior BETA Club, Interact Club, FCA, and...

Sean Davidson, Opinion Editor

Sean Davidson is seventeen years old and a senior at Tunstall High School. He is an all-around nice guy who enjoys writing and playing video games. This...

Mary Owen, Reporter

Mary Owen is a sophomore at Tunsall High School. This is her first year writing for the Trojan Messenger. She is a member of the Beta Club. She enjoys...

Michael Bradshaw, Reporter

Michael Bradshaw is a senior at Tunstall High School. He enjoys drawing, writing, and making people laugh and smile. With art, three years of drama, creative...

Kenia Cruz, Reporter

Kenia Cruz is a junior at Tunstall High School. She has joined DECA and the Spanish Club throughout her years attending Tunstall. She has recently joined...

Kayla Moore, Reporter

Kayla Moore is a sophomore at Tunstall High School. She was born and raised in Danville, Virginia, and she grew up with three older sisters. Ever since...

Kalen Simpkins, Reporter

Kalen Simpkins is a freshman and is a first year member of the Trojan Messenger staff.  He is a member of FCCLA. When he is finished with school,...