Students participate in Pittsylvania-Caswell Youth Junior Livestock Show and Sale

On Friday, April 27, eleven students participated in the 70th annual Pittsylvania-Caswell Youth Junior Livestock Show and Sale. It was held at the Old Dominion Agricultural Complex in Chatham beginning at 8 a.m.

The show’s participants were from both counties’ 4-H and Future Farmers of America (FFA) clubs.

THS students in the show were sophomores Wesley Honeycutt and Megan Pollok,  juniors Gavin Harless, and seniors Jackson Clark, Dakota Curtis, Sean Gunter, Mallory Harvey, Carlton Jackson, Cody Terry, Perry White, and Zoey White.

Students worked hard for many weeks in preparation for the show.

“I halter broke my goat and cared for him every day. For show day, I clipped him, bathed him, and trimmed his hooves,” said Zoey White, who placed 5th in the show.

Participants were judged by how they showed off their livestock and their ability to handle the animals. The judges looked for the best in each class.

Honeycutt and Zoey White placed for their meat goats and Pollok placed for her heifers.

“I chose a goat this year because it was easier and less time consuming than the steer I did last year. I truly enjoy goats. They have a huge personality and they’re fun to be around,” said White.

Some junior and senior participants were able to work with first through fifth grade students and their animals. Other participants helped direct traffic and set up the awards banquet.

Overall, it was an exciting day for students, customers, and those who just came to watch the show.

“I thoroughly enjoy the task of raising and training an animal. I also love animals in general, so this was a good way to get used to different types of livestock,” said White.