Tunstall students recognized for Young Authors

Seniors+Jordan+Moorefield+and+Justin+Oakes+placed+in+regionals+for+the+short+story+competition.+

Kaitlyn Aaron

Seniors Jordan Moorefield and Justin Oakes placed in regionals for the short story competition.

The Piedmont Area Reading Council hosted its annual Young Authors Awards Ceremony on April 26, 2014 at Liberty University.  Ten students from Tunstall high School placed in the regional level for their short story, essay, or poetry work.

The ceremony began with a welcoming by the Co-President of Young Authors, Annyce Maddox, and was followed by the guest speaker, Julie Eckels.  Afterwards, awards were presented.

Sophomore Sydney Gammon placed first for her grade level for her short story, “Running Away is Dangerous.”  Senior Jordan Moorefield also placed first for her short story, “27” followed by senior Justin Oakes placing second for “The Muse.” Moorefield stated: “It was really cool. It made it worht it, knowing that my story wasn’t crap.”

For poetry, sophomore Miranda Doss placed third for the “Clicked away, yet you stay.” Also, senior Claire Gray’s poem “Daddy” placed first for her grade level.  Gray stated, “I was motivated by Mrs. Nester to submit my work and i was shocked that my poem made it that far.  Plus, the extra credit was a motivation!”

For the essays, students were prompted to write about the numerous lives that they have “lived” as a reader.  Juniors Cassie Donahue, Gabby Stowe, and Hannah Walkerall placed for their grade level.  Senior Maddie Hughes won first place.

The Young Authors process begins by students writing an original piece of work that meets the Young Authors Competition guidelines and submitting it to their teacher.  Once winning the school level, the student’s work goes on to compete in the district level, then reaches the judges for regionals, the final level.