Students gather for prayer at the pole

Students+gathered+in+front+of+Tunstall+High+School+for+the+national+See+You+at+the+Pole+event.+

Adrian Nester

Students gathered in front of Tunstall High School for the national See You at the Pole event.

See You At the Pole is a national event that is held every year on the fourth Wednesday of September. Each year, students from all over the nation join in prayer around their school’s flagpole to pray over students, teachers, staff, etc. At the Tunstall High School, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Club and other students participated in this ceremony.

This event began at 7:30am with THS JROTC raising the American and Virginia flag. As the two flags were raised, the National Anthem was played. After the National Anthem concluded, students came together and sang the song Reckless Love by Cory Asbury. While the students sang, senior Eli Ashworth played the guitar and sophomore Andrew Crank played the cajon.

“It was good we could all come together and worship God without being criticized,” said junior Carrie Adams.

When the song ended, sophomore Jaydon Unger, gave a devotion on Brokenness from the book of Matthew which was this year’s theme for See You At the Pole.

“I thought it was cool to see everyone step up and be a leader in some way,” said Senior Eli Ashworth.

Following the devotion, students came together and began praying over the following topics: the President and government officials, law enforcement, military, staff of the school, teachers, and students.

“I’m always amazed at the caliber of leadership and initiative displayed by the student leaders who put together this year’s See You At the Pole who are acknowledging their right to assemble for student led prayer,” says Deputy Silverman, FCA advisor.

Two pastors were present at this event, the youth pastor for Mt. Hermon Baptist Church, Cody Speck,  and the pastor of North Main Baptist Church, Fred Unger. Speck prayed over the students who participated in this event to be bold and share their faith with their fellow classmates and peers.

Around 60 to 80 people participated in this ceremony as buses began to drop off students. Teachers also began circling around the flagpole and joining their students in prayer. As the ceremony concluded, Faith Snead led everyone in a prayer over the brokenness of the school and the students as a whole.