Tunstall soccer rolls past Comets

Noah+Mills+scored+three+goals+against+Halifax.+

Noah Mills scored three goals against Halifax.

In back-to-back action on Friday night, Tunstall High School girls and boys varsity teams both brought home victories against the Halifax Comets. 

So far this season the girls have won against Bassett 4-0, split with Appomattox 0-1, 3-1, and lost to Magna Vista. The 3-1 Halifax win brings their record to 3-2 on the year. 

The first goal was a long boot scored by sophomore Emma Dowdy assisted by junior Sophia Miller. Freshman Brit Bowman scored with an assist from sophomore Hayden Wentz. Miller scored again unassisted. Senior Evelyn Balderamma had 4 saves in goal. 

Coach Marc Parrish also credited his defense who “did a great job and kept pushing up and out of the back.” Defenders of note were senior Kara Scearcy, sophomore Kayla Fry, junior Emma Howell, and freshman Isabella White. Seniors Lillie Chaney and Abigail Childress added excellent mid-field play.  

Parrish is excited about the team’s potential for the remainder of the season. “We want to win out and be at the top [of the Piedmont District standings] or as close to the top as we can.”

The boys team came out ready to play in the 8-0 routing of Halifax. Junior Brandon Hill scored two of his three goals in the first seven minutes of play. He added an additional goal and assist later in the game.

Junior Noah Mills also added three goals and one assist. Senior Andrew Crank had three assists. Sophomore Braeden Barber and junior Gage Turner added a goal each.  

The Halifax win moves the team to 2-2 after a 4-1 win against GW and losses against Bassett and Magna Vista with scores of 2-3 in each game.  

The JV team and boys soccer team will play at home against Patrick County on Tuesday at 5:30 and 7:30, respectively. The girls will travel to Patrick County with a game time of 5:30. 

This article was also published in the May 19 edition of The Star-Tribune.