Track team’s post regional competitions

The Tunstall Trojans had their district meet at George Washington High School on May 17. Those who advance to regionals on the team will go to the meet held at Cave Springs High School on May 25.

The Tunstall High School boys and girls both placed sixth at the district GW meet with Bassett, Halifax County, Mecklenburg County, Magna Vista, Patrick County, George Washington, and Martinsville.

For the girls Brooklyn Brooks continued to capture 1st place in the high jump as well as finishing 2nd in the 100 meter hurdles. 

Avalyn Emerson, Madeleine Jones, Katelyn Brooks, and Lydia Davis placed 2nd in the 4×800 meter relay. As well as, Chloe Barnes, Destiny Flores, Brooklyn Brooks, and Carolina Wheeler taking 3rd place in the 4×400 meter relay.

For the boys Azael Quintero, Lathan Witcher, Cole Grogan, and Azam Khan placed 2nd in the 4×800 meter relay. Azael also placed 2nd in the 800 meter run. Tunstall also got 2nd place in the boys shot put with Curtis Ingram and won 1st place with Jamarcus Brown in the high jump.

Regionals is typically an open event to those who have a competitive time. However, the top four individuals in running or throwing events go, as well as, top three relay teams.

THS already has two students who have already qualified for states. They are Jamarcus Brown and Brooklyn Brooks. “I’m going to states for jumping 5’1” in the high jump. I’m aiming to beat the girls school record of 5’4” and hopefully I can win in the 100 meter hurdles as well!” said Brooks. 

Brown said, “I’m going to states for high jump and I want to be state champion, of course. I jumped 6’7” to get to states and my goal is to get that 6’10”.

On May 4, 2023, the Tunstall High School boys and girls finished first in the Galileo track meet hosted at Tunstall with Hargrave, Dan River, Nelson County, Altavista, Gretna, Chatham Hall, and Bassett participated. The Tunstall girls team finished second overall. 

For the boys Evan Morton led the way with 1st place finished in both the 110 meter hurdles and 300 meter hurdles.Brown continued to dominate in the high jump finishing in 1st place with a 6’4″ jump. Lathan Witcher also placed 1st in the triple jump and added points with a 3rd place finish in the long jump. 

Earning second place finishes were Azael Quintero in the 800 meter run, Edwin Diaz in the 3200, and the members of the 4×100 relay team: Malik Barbour, Bricen Pool, Ryan Yancey, and Ryan Jones. 

The 4×400 relay team of  Azael Quintero, Tavion Davis, Xavier Christian, Lathan Witcher took 3rd place.

In the girls second team finish, Brooklyn Brooks was the leader with 1st place finishes in the 100 meter hurdles and 300 meter hurdles. Tatianna Carter also finished first in the discus while the 4×400 relay team of Chole Barnes, Hayden Wentz, Brooklyn Brooks, and Carolina Wheeler brought home first as well. 

The remaining relay teams finished third including the 4×100 relay team of Caroline Clay, McCall Hollie, Sarah Merricks and Destiny Flores and the 4×800 team of Avalyn Emerson, Katlyn Brooks, Lydia Davis, and Madaline Jones.

Finishing third individually were Hadyn Wentz with a 3rd place finish in the 300 meter hurdles, Mary Bledsoe in the discus throw, and Destiny Flores in the 200 meter dash.