Celebrating the class of 2016

This morning Tunstall’s student body and faculty flooded into the gym to commemorate all of the accomplishments the senior class of 2016 has demonstrated.

With the eyes of proud parents gleaming, the seniors waltzed into the gym in their red caps and gowns. After the underclassmen settled down, Principal Boles welcomed all in attendance. Several scholarships were awarded throughout the ceremony as well as recognitions for accomplishments.

One of the first awards delivered to the deserving seniors were Merit Awards from various colleges. A total of 13 seniors received scholarships from Averett University including one full ride given to Kenna Fulton. Averett was not the only college represented this morning; Bluefield College awarded $24,000 scholarships to each Brianna Farrar, Josh Wilson, and DeMarcus Wimbush. Also, Bidgewater college was represented as they awarded a $24,000 scholarship to Kayla Hill.

The last school represented was the Virginia Military Institute as Lt. Colonel David King called Taylor McGregor and Trey Dallas to accept their scholarships. After giving the two boys their first assignment for the summer, a coloring book, Captain Tamara O’Neal awarded McGregor and Dallas their scholarships as she congratulated them for being accepted into the prestigious program.

Following the Merit Awards was The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region scholarships, which seven students earned. The Optimist Club Scholarship was awarded soon after which three students obtained. These students placed in a speech contest which focused around the topic “How my best brings out the best in others.” Cassidy Bowles won the contest and was awarded $3,000, Trey Dallas placed 2nd and was given $2,500, and Chandler Wilkins placed 4th and was awarded $1,000.

One of the scholarships that is special to this school is the Patrick Daniel Scholarship. Patrick Daniel is the deceased son of faculty member Jan Daniel. Patrick graduated from Tunstall with the class of 1999, and later died due to liver complications. This year, the Patrick Daniel scholarship was awarded to Rebecca M. Scarce, Sarah Beth Myer, and Mary Katherine Criswell.

Tunstall High School’s clubs also presented awards this morning. The Riverview Rotary Club awarded Hannah Barker $1,000 for a service award. The Trojan club presented scholarships to Josh Wilson and DeMarcus Wimbush, who will be teammates on the football team at Bluefield College. Will Ashworth and David Dean were also presented this award, who will be teammates on the football team, as well as Tyler McClanahan, who will be on the baseball team, at Averett University in the fall. The Trojan Club also presented scholarships to Katie Pritchett, who will attend University of Virginia Wise, and Chandler Wilkins, who will attend Old Dominion University, and will both be on their school’s golf teams.

The Future Farmers of America Club awarded Chelsea Custer with a $1500 scholarship as well as the Outstanding Senior Award and the Outstanding FFA Award.

Academic subjects presented awards to seniors as well. Mrs. Nester awarded the Advanced Placement English award to Hannah Barker and Mrs. Potts awarded the English 12 Award to Sarah Beth Myer. The Young Author winners were then recognized for their achievements. Tunstall High School’s first place in poetry was awarded to Hannah Shambley, second place to Tiffany Bowker, third place for the school and county to Lizbeth Pineda, and 4th place for the school as well as county honorable mention to Andrew Mattherly. The 12th grade short fiction winners, for the school as well for the county and region, were Tiffany Bowker with first place, Chirs Luther in second place, Kara Karnes placed 3rd at Tunstall and received sounty and regional honorable mention, and Elizabeth Dickens placed 4th for the school.

Mrs. Williams then presented the Trojan Messanger Staff Member of the Year Award to Tiffany Bowker, who is Editor-in-Chief of the online paper this year. She then presented the yearbook award to Jacob Ingram and the Drama Award to Dwight Tate.

The classes continued to deliver awards for highest grade point average. Wade Lewis received this award for Statistics and David Dean was given his award for Overall Math and Calculus. The President’s award for Academic Excellence was then presented to Jarrett Stowe.

The subject then changed from academics to athletics as the Female Athlete of the Year Award was given to Sarah Beth Myer and the Male Athlete of the Year Award was given to TeAun Carter. The most spirited were then recognized, the female winner was Rebecca Scarce and male winner was Caleb Thompson.

The honor roll students were recognized as 91 students rose as their names were announced. As the honor roll students began to sit down, students who will also receive a Danville Community College diploma then stood. These graduates were Cabell Eades, Sydney Gammon, Cove Sawyers, and Kayla McGuire.

The 2016 Commonwealth Scholars were recognized as the 30 students receiving the award one by one stood at their seats. As those students took their seats 111 student’s names were then called to approach the podium to receive recognition as an honor graduate and receive their attire from Principal Boles and Assistant Principal Mrs. Harper.

Mr. Boles then presented the Leadership Award to Trey Dallas and the Principal Award to Sarah Beth Myer. The Academy of Engineering Technology (AET) Salutatorian, Dwight Tate, was then recognized as well as Jarret Stowe, who is the Governor’s School salutatorian.

This year Tunstall High School has two students who have both excelled and placed first in their class, Jarrett Stowe and Berkley Toufas will both have the honor of standing before the class of 2016 as co-valedictorians. The boys were the last ones to be recognized at today’s assembly.