Coach Austin: Once a Trojan, Always a Trojan

Madi Eades

Coach Mark Austin is a 1996 graduate of Tunstall High School.

The well-known coach and gym teacher, Mark Austin, was once a student at Tunstall High School.  His teachers who are still at Tunstall today included Mrs. Grey, Mrs. White, and Ms. Ayuso.  “I was an average student and I enjoyed high school,” he said.  Austin spent most of his time playing sports during his high school years. He played basketball for two years and also played baseball and football all four years of his high school career.  In fact, Austin was captain of the varsity baseball and football teams as a senior.  “My best memories at Tunstall were winning the state championship and making many new friends,” said Austin.

Austin’s love for sports drove him to attend Liberty and Averett University to study Health and Physical Education.  This is his fourteenth year of being a gym teacher.  Along with teaching physical education, Austin is one of the coaches of the varsity baseball team.  This will be his twelfth year of coaching baseball.  “I really enjoy coaching baseball at Tunstall because the players are so dedicated to being the best that they can be. They work extremely hard year round to make our team better. In return we as coaches try our best to provide them the best facilities, equipment, and uniforms possible. Also, the guys are fun to be around and we have a great time,” said Austin.  He has also been President of the Pittsylvania County Youth League for ten years.

Other hobbies that Austin enjoys are golfing and fishing.  His favorite sports teams include Virginia Tech football, Carolina basketball, and the Atlanta Braves. Also, Austin enjoys spending time with his family. Him and his wife, Lori, have been married for 10 years and have two children, Madison and Brady.  Madison will be turning seven in June and Brady will be four in May.

Students enjoy having Coach Austin as a gym teacher as well as a coach.  He is a funny guy who is cool to be around and easy to talk to.  His experiences as a student at Tunstall are what brought him back to being a teacher here today.