Important dates seniors need to know to finish out the school year

For high school students, May is always a hectic month but it is especially so for seniors. Here is a brief summary of all that is coming up next month, along with a few dates for the rest of April.

Thursday, April 26: cap and gown pictures Order forms were handed out last week for cap and gown pictures. Pictures can also be ordered online at mylifetouch.com if one wishes to opt out of using the order form. Taking these pictures is optional.

Thursday, April 26: Decision Day celebration In the afternoon, students will participate in Decision Day activities, such as decorating shirts. There will also be music, a photo booth, and Chick-Fil-A. Shirts were distributed on Tuesday. See Ms. Keri Holt with any questions.

Tuesday, May 1: National Decision Day This is the final day for students to submit their deposits to colleges.

Saturday, May 5: Gospel Sing: This event will be from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the auditorium. It is sponsored by the Booster Club and serves to raise money for scholarships that will go to students ranked in the top 25 of the graduating class. The evening will include music from various people, food that is able to be purchased, and a silent auction.

Monday, May 7: Advanced Placement (AP) testing begins AP Chemistry will kick off testing in the morning then AP Psychology will follow in the afternoon. Click here to see the official schedule for all AP exams.

Thursday, May 10: Interact Meeting This will be the last meeting of the year for Interact club members and it is the time to turn in volunteer/donation sheets.

Thursday, May 17: Graduate of Merit Banquet This ceremony will be begin at 6 p.m. and will be held at Averett University’s E. Stuart James Grant Convocation and Athletic Center. Candidates should have already submitted their information for biographies in March. They should also have received information about their sponsors. Each candidate is given two tickets for guests.

Sunday, May 20: Baccalaureate Service Seniors are expected to adhere to graduation dress requirements and arrive at 8 a.m. to line up in the cafeteria. The service will begin at 8:30 a.m. in the auditorium.

Monday, May 21: Senior Awards Day The ceremony will begin at 9 a.m. in the gymnasium. Following the ceremony, there will be a senior luncheon at 12 p.m.

Thursday, May 24: Mandatory graduation practice Graduates and junior marshals must arrive at 1:45 p.m. at Averett University’s Grant Center for the mandatory graduation practice. If seniors do not attend, they will not be allowed to walk at graduation. Students must have their own transportation and outfits must adhere to the school dress code.

Friday, May 25: Graduation Ah, the day seniors have been anticipating. Students are expected to be dressed, lined up, and in the correct order at Averett University’s Grant Center by 6 p.m. The commencement ceremony will begin at 7 p.m.. Ladies are expected to wear conservative dresses that are within the dress code, but are not longer than their robes. Black shoes are required, as well, preferably close-toe flats. Flip-flops are not allowed. Gentlemen must wear black dress pants, black dress shoes, black dress socks, white dress shirts, and dark neckties. Additionally, sunglasses, purses, cell phones, and gum will not be allowed. Caps and gowns may not be modified in any way. Each student will be given six tickets for guests. Doors will open at 6:10 p.m. and seating is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Congratulations to the class of 2018!