Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Trojan Messenger

Rocking around the Christmas tree with our holiday favorites

Thanksgiving has come and gone. Pumpkins have been put away, and Christmas trees have come out of storage. With so many people getting in the holiday spirit, the familiar melodies of Christmas music have been playing on repeat. Some may say that this popular category of holiday music has subgenres. There is country, traditional, pop, modern, and many more different types of Christmas music. 

Teacher Matthew Bowman loves Christmas time and the music that comes with it. “I always make a point to listen to Christmas music on the 25th of every month,” Bowman said, “so on the 25th of July, it’s Rudolph time.” Bowman starts listening to jolly music consistently on Halloween. “Halloween, deck the halls,” Bowman said. He prefers upbeat tunes to slow classics. “White Christmas, like what is that,” Bowman elaborated. Bowman is a Christmas music enthusiast and listens to as much as possible at all times. The song that gets him in the jolly mood the most is “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey. “I love watching her videos she makes after Thanksgiving to kick off the Christmas season,” Bowman explained. 

Senior Ryan Yancey loves the Christmas season tunes just as much. “I start listening generally around November,” Yancey said. Yancey starts listening to Christmas music a couple of days before Thanksgiving. His favorite holiday song artist is Michael Jackson. While Yancey loves his Christmas music, he doesn’t expand his listening past the season. “Listen in the summer? No,” Yancey elaborated. He also prefers more upbeat and up-to-date songs. There’s always a certain song that just throws you into the Christmas spirit, and for Yancey it’s “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.”

Sophomore Brayden Bailey also loves Christmas music. He starts listening to Christmas music at the very beginning of November. “I do not wait for Thanksgiving to end,” Bailey said. He chooses to contain his listening to the holiday season and not listen over the summer months. The different genres of Christmas music can be a little bit confusing for some, and Bailey was partially confused. “There’s different genres of Christmas music,” Bailey said, “whatever genre Mariah Carey is, is my favorite.” The song that prepares Bailey most for the Holiday season is “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey.

Everyone has their holiday listening preferences, and they differ from person to person. Whether you enjoy the classics or you lean more toward modern Christmas music, there is no doubt that THS is in the Christmas spirit and enjoying Christmas music.