Winter disappoints students

Winter disappoints students

As blizzards slam the Northeastern part of the country and February approaches, the lingering question is “will it ever snow?”

Last year, Pittsylvania County schools were closed for a total of eleven days with the majority of them being in January. It seemed as the snow melted, more would fall with amounts up to three inches. Students spent their days sledding, riding four wheelers, building snowmen, sleeping late, or finishing overdue homework. Even on spring break in March, the ground was covered in snow. But now, winter is almost halfway over and not one flake has touched the dried up ground. Meteorologists have predicted light snow a few times in the past month, causing an excitement throughout the schools. Then, as the days got closer, the forecast would turn back to rain.

However, on January 14, schools were shut down for one day due to icy patches throughout the county. Since then, the temperatures have stayed above the 40’s causing any precipitation to remain as rain. The Farmer’s Almanac 2015 predicts the month of February will have occasional flurries, but no accumulation.

Freshman Nicole Tolley says, “I really want it to snow! Last year gave me high expectations, that I hope won’t be broken. I want to sled, drink hot cocoa, and have a snowball fight with my best friend. Getting out of school is a big plus, too.”

This season appears to be different from the past winter. Although meteorologists don’t predict a snowstorm this year, no one truly knows what the future holds. As for many students like Tolley, they will continue to hope for snow.