Tornado tests Tunstall’s patience

Tiffany Bowker

The baseball field received damage receiving high winds on February 24.

Near flooding was reached at 4:30 pm on Hillcreek road in the Whitmell community.
Near flooding was reached  on Hillcreek road at 4:30 pm in the Whitmell community.

Wednesday, February 24th, Tunstall students trudged down the hall as sardines would and resumed the position of “code green,” armadillo tuck and cover.

Every student in the hallway had two things in common, one; they were startled, and two; their legs were numb.

At approximately 2:45 PM, a tornado was spotted in Waverly, VA; Pittsylvania County schools were ordered by the NWS forecast office in Blacksburg, VA under a tornado warning. Students and faculty stayed glued to every crack and crevice the school had to offer for an entire hour. Students were not allowed to leave the building until 3:45 pm; a half an hour past regular dismissal. A tornado watch continued to be held until 9 pm EST.

Students assemble in the main hall during a Code Green.
Ms. Blankenship

The severe weather caused all after school activities to be cancelled, that being: tutoring, CPR certification class, and spring sports tryouts.

A double rainbow overlooking Mapleton Dr.
Cheyenne Shreeve

High winds and damp grounds contributed to a downed light pole here at Tunstall which damaged a portion of the outfields baseball fence. Pittsylvania County schools maintenance department is currently working to remove the pole and replace the damaged fence.