Disney confirms High School Musical 4

High School Musical– the epitome of childhood happiness. Even though this hit came out 10 years ago, it’s still just as popular as ever. Sure, maybe elementary school children don’t carry HSM lunch boxes anymore (thanks Frozen) or sing “What Time is It” on the last day of the semester, but the memories are still lingering. It’s a Disney movie a child just can’t forget- a fantasy of what high school could be like.

Even though nobody really breaks into song during lunch. Right?

It all started on New Year’s Eve when main characters Troy and Gabriella first met at a ski lodge singing karaoke. From there, the infamous movie became an instant success- bringing in a gross profit of $250 million.

There were three movies that covered the complicated, ever-changing, yet consistently sweet romance of Troy and Gabriella. The third movie was released in (what seems like just yesterday) 2008. High School Musical 3 covered the characters’ senior year including prom, the spring musical, college decisions, and graduation.

The end was bittersweet as fans watched the Wildcats say their final goodbye to East High. There were tears shed- mainly because Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens’ relationship in real life was ending, too. But that’s beside the point.

Disney confirmed today that there will be a High School Musical 4. It sounds thrilling- who doesn’t want to see their favorite characters embark on their college adventure?

But, it won’t be the same.

HSM 4 won’t be directed by the legendary Kenny Ortega, however, that’s not even the worst part.

The boys (won’t) be back! Yes, Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Corbin Bleu, Ashley Tisdale- the list goes on and on- won’t even be hitting the big screen for this.

In fact, Disney is holding casting this spring for the new movie and said they are looking forward to getting a “new group of Wildcats.”

Plus, the movie won’t even be about college. Viewers will be right back at East High following a different group of students who are facing off with their rival, West High.

Is this even worthy to have the privilege of carrying on the High School Musical name?

(Excuse the excessive amount of song lyrics that will be referenced momentarily.)

How could they expect this movie to bop to the top without the original cast? Does Disney honestly think this is soaring and flying as acceptable?

Maybe it won’t be nearly as terrible as fans are expecting, but there is no way it can compare to the original. Quite frankly, there shouldn’t be a start of something new.

After all, didn’t the most popular song of the East High cafeteria say, “No, stick to the stuff you know. It’s better by far to keep things as they are. Don’t mess with the flow, stick to the status quo?”

Maybe the producers should listen to that playlist one more time.