Trojans go jazzy

Students participate in the first Jazz Band practice.

Tiffany Bowker

From the Pink Panther theme song to “Georgia on My Mind,” the school’s Jazz Band met on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 for the first time. The group consists of twenty dedicated students, directed by Mrs. Harlow, who range in age from 8th grade to seniors. For many this is their first experience in a jazzy environment. “I expect to have fun playing some awesome jazz music,” said junior Richard Rust.

“For those who don’t know, Jazz Band is music that’s upbeat, with a lot of rhythm and swag,” said Mrs. Harlow. The band decided to come together because of popular demand from previous students and the opportunities it opens up. The group is still throwing around name ideas, but they’ve all decided that “Tunstall Jazz Band” is too formal.

Sophomore Brandon Warren, who’s played his instrument for five years, said, “I’m excited most for a way to improve upon jazz trumpet techniques.”

In the near future Mrs. Harlow plans to start small, but then expand the group and begin playing community concerts and traveling to perform at festivals. The Jazz Band will play publically for the first time on April 4, 2015, at the TCE Home Show in the gymnasium.

“I expect to become one of the best jazz musicians in high school,” said sophomore Elijah Grenade, who plays mellophone for the band.

Jazz Band practices every Wednesday from 3:30-5:30 and is open to any student with or without a musical past. The band is still in need of a pianist and a base and electric guitar player.