The Interact club continues to be actively involved

The Interact club organized a birthday party at Roman Eagle nursing home for all residents with March birthdays. Little gift bags were handed out to each resident, containing lotion, combs, toothbrushes, bananas, candy and mints, and other small items.

To start the party off, students cut and served birthday cake, took drink requests, and handed out plates of chips, along with socialized with the residents. Many laughs were shared in a game of charades, played in teams of two; one interact member with one resident.

A game of birthday jingo was also played, also known as Bingo, which the residents really enjoyed. “I really liked playing this [Jingo]. I worked at the hospital all my life in all the commotion and I never had a chance to just sit down and play,” said resident Betty Taylor.

Students also got a meaningful experience from interacting with the residents. “I loved seeing the expression on their faces, especially the lady I was talking to whose birthday it was. She kept repeating ‘thank y’all so much’ and I know she really enjoyed us celebrating her birthday. I know she probably doesn’t get recognized very often. It melted my heart,” said senior Ali Wiles.

Junior Megan Cassada had a similar heart-warming experience. “My favorite part of going would have to be just simply being a part of and watching everyone interact with the residents. Seeing the happiness on the residents’ faces and knowing they genuinely enjoyed our company and were having such a great time couldn’t have made me happier,” she said.

One resident that was celebrating her one hundred and first birthday at the party said, in regards to what advice she would give younger students,  “I ain’t got nothing to give nobody. The Lord has given it all to me and been with me.”

The Interact club organizes two birthday parties every year and has enjoyed going to celebrate, recognize and socialize with residents.

At the last meeting, members got together with the Autism Walk supervisor, Emily Holder, and made 500 blue light bulbs with note cards attached. Blue is the official color of Autism and the light bulbs will be handed out to participants of the Autism walk on April 26. The students all worked efficiently and got the project done in less than an hour. Many plan to not only give their time after school, but to attend the fundraising race, either to walk, run, or to simply help as a volunteer.

Members are still actively going to God’s Storehouse on Thursdays, organized by senior Mckenzie Payne, and can sign up ahead of time in Mrs. Nester’s room. Students are set up in an assembly line and bags are passed down the line as each student places one item in the bag for a weekend feeding program for a local elementary school.

The Interact members continue to stay busy and future service projects, such as God’s storehouse on Thursdays at five, Autism Walk, Crossroads Reconciliation Women’s clothing drive and Project sole shoe drive, which is due by April 15th. Members are encouraged to bring women’s attire and athletic shoes and hiking boots without holes.