From an Eagle to a Trojan, and now a future Red Hawk

Brian Cendejas

Back row, from left to right: head coach Barry Shelton, principal Brian Boles, assistant principal and athletic director Ed Newnam, and assistant coach Mark Austin Bottom row, left to right: Matt’s father, Matt Yarbrough, and Matt’s mother

Tuesday afternoon, November 29th, Matt Yarbrough made the biggest athletic and academic decision of his young life; Yarbrough signed on the dotted line to make his baseball commitment to Catawba Valley Community College in Hickory, NC. Catawba has striking success when it comes to baseball. The college is nationally ranked every year and has had almost 80 players continuing their playing career at the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) or NAIA level (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics). Yarbrough said that Catawba Valley was a perfect fit for him.

“I got invited to the camp and I did really well. Coach (Marshall) McDonald was down there and we started talking. I wasn’t really sure of the idea at first, but then it started to make more sense later on,” said Yarbrough.

Yarbrough had visited the college in the past. He mentioned that he liked the indoor and outdoor baseball facilities, but loved the field the most, which is maintained by a former Major League’s grounds crew member.

The road to success wasn’t easy for Yarbrough. After his freshman year at George Washington High School, Yarbrough made a personal decision to leave his friends and teammates behind to pursue a better path academically and athletically. Yarbrough sat down and thoroughly talked to his parents about leaving GW for Tunstall. He wanted a change and wanted to grow as a person. Following an interview with former Principal Barbra Brown and approval from former Superintendent James McDaniel, Yarbrough was approved. However, his chances of playing for the school came to a halt for the 2014-15 school year.

According to VHSL (Virginia High School League) rules, any athlete who transfers schools without moving into the school’s district must sit out for one season. For Yarbrough, he missed the pride and joy of playing for a school, but was able to condition and practice with the team.

During the season, he helped the team with whatever they needed and was even the bullpen catcher too. After he was cleared from his year suspension, Yarbrough was able to join the team and during the off-season, he was named one of the captains for the 2016 season.

On March 15, 2016, Yarbrough had a day that he would remember for years to come. Suited up in his first game as a Trojan, Yarbrough would come up to the plate for the first bat of his Tunstall career. After working up a 2-0 count with a runner on base, Yarbrough hit a home run to left center field.

In just his first year with the team, Yarbrough was the starting third basemen, he had a .329 batting average with five doubles, six home runs, 19 RBI’s and drew 10 walks. He was named 2016 First Team All-District third baseman (Piedmont District) and was named by the 2016 Second Team Conference 30 as a designated hitter. The Danville Register & Bee referred to Yarbrough as a “utility player.”

When not playing for the school, Yarbrough plays for the Dirtbags Showcase Travel Baseball Team, where he occupies both third and first base. The team has games throughout the summer and  fall.

“Matt has been one of the hardest workers we’ve ever had here at this school,” said head coach Barry Shelton.

“He puts in more time than any player that we have had in the past that I can think of. It’s been a blessing for us to have him transfer here and I can’t say enough about his work ethic. We’re real proud of Matt. We’re happy for him,” said Shelton.

Since Yarbrough took early action, he can breathe a little bit knowing he has a plan and a baseball career after high school. He plans to major in liberal arts.

“It will definitely take a lot of pressure off my shoulders just to know where I am going and to know it will be alright if something good doesn’t happen this season,” said Yarbrough.

He continued, “I’m really excited about it and hope for a good season.”

Yarbrough is the first college commit for the 2016-17 school year.